Data Reflection

Below is a heatmap of all the data I collected during the past three month for my History of the English Language course.

I have collected a total of 59 data points, the majority of which are unsurprisingly located in Hammana, as per my project for this course. The repartition of languages collected is as follow:

While there obviously is overlap with languages often appearing together, the general overview reveals that in the end, in the data I collected, there is an equiprobability of the three main languages in lebanon.

I have collected the bulk of my data early one, with the majority of the Hammana data points being collected on February the 13th for time management purposes. However, the I have noticed that the other data points I have collected, having no specific directive in mind for entries outside of Hammana, tend to be mostly funny ones where there is case of weird or misusage. This probably means that, being outside the realm of my project, the funny ones were the most incentivizing for me to get out my phone and register the data point, revealing a certain evolutionary pattern in the Urban Jungle and the survival of the funniest.

Looking back at my data collection in Hammana, I wish I would have done it differently. Doing it at a pretty early stage and driven by the "rue" signs anomalie versus the English color zones, most of my initial collection revolved around getting as much of these as possible. In hindsight, this was not very useful, with the most interesting information being extracted from the final hour of my collection in the city center, patterns I only noticed after mulling over the data and puttting in map form.

In a certain sense, my failiure at the modelling process of the perceived problem at hand was revealed to me with the maps generated by this supposedly flawed process, reaffirming the usefulness and arguably the primacy of modelling (and failiure at it) over pure result-driven research.